Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thankful Thursday!


Thankful Thursday is brought to you Megan Whitmer. Because she's amazing, and has the best ideas. A weekly dose of thankfulness is something I think all of us need. If you want to participate go here and add your post to the linky!


This week I'm thankful for confidence. SO so thankful.

I think writers, as a whole, have issues with this. And why shouldn't we? Most of the time you tell someone you want to be an author and they really have no idea what to say to you! I mean, I don't know about you guys, but I've seen a lot of this:



I'm going to go ahead and call this UNHELPFUL. But can you blame them? In a world where everyone and their brother is writing something, most people have heard this before. And how many people really follow through and actually persevere long enough to get published? I don't know a single published author personally outside of Twitter and the internet.

This makes up a sad, lonely breeding ground for confidence.

You know what else doesn't help? Statistics. You hear agents are getting 200+ queries EVERY WEEK and they only request material from a handful. Those are tough odds, and they give you that distinct feeling that you'd have to be really lucky to catch their attention.

So, as a writer, confidence can be really hard to come by. I've been writing for 4 and a half years and have JUST NOW gotten to the query stage. I refused to enter into this unless I had something I was proud enough of to risk getting my thin skin ripped to pieces during the query process.

And the more I wrote The Blood Train, the more I knew it was special. And I felt better about it after I got comments from my CP's. And then even better once I revised and got amazing feedback during Pitch Wars. Each little thing was a victory for my confidence, slowly building me up on the inside to where I'm excited to check my email now, not dreading it. (And more often than not, there's good news in there.)

So, I'm thankful for this confidence, along with everything and everyone who has inspired it. It feels good. It feels like all those weird looks and stunned silences from my family are finally going to be something I can look back on and remember with a smile, as just another part of the journey.

An exhausting, fun, tear filled, crazy journey, that's just beginning for me.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment