Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My 2013

There are dozens of these end-of-the-year blogs today, since, hey, it's the end of the year. I wasn't going to do one, and then I started thinking about all the AMAZING things that happened this year and I decided I really wanted to share, so here goes.

This year I got together with the BEST group of ladies and we made the most amazing critique group known to man. The ladies of The Constellation Society have changed my life in more ways than one, and somehow this group of strangers has transformed into some of my absolute best friends.

I also gave up on a manuscript that was holding me down. Some of you may have known it as Wolfy Love Story. Hailey and Noah's story was so close to my heart for SO many emotionally charged reasons, and it sucked to push it aside but it was necessary. I'd been editing the same thing over and over and it wasn't going anywhere. Mostly because I was already so far ahead of that writing. That book was where I was at three years ago, and it was time to let it go.

I fell in LOVE with my new book. And by new, I mean my newest attempt to write a story that's been in my head for a few years. I had a list of my favorite plot points and a blank document, and I went for it. It took me 16 weeks to finish it, with my amazing CP's reading as I wrote, and I'm so happy to say that I will finally be querying something in the new year. To have something that you're proud of enough to actually WANT to share with the world is one of the better things that happened to me this year.

I wrote my very first query letter.

I wrote my very first synopsis! (HATE THOSE STUPID THINGS, by the way.)

I entered Pitch Wars this year, marking my very first contest EVER, and we all know how that worked out for me. ;-)

My little girl turned one in July! We drove to Oregon to visit my husbands family, and then a few months later we drove to Disneyland (my first time there as well as my kids.)

It was a year of firsts. A year of accomplishments. 2013 is a year I can look back on with real, meaningful milestones not only for my family, but for my potential career as an author.

And 2013 makes me giddy for 2014, and what this next year might bring me. I'm at a place where I'm finally moving forward, rather than circling the same place, and I'm anxious to see what I'm moving toward.

I wish each and every one of you the most amazing new year. I love you all. 

Toodles!

Megan.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you let a book go. I had to do the same with my first book. I LOVED it and worked on it for almost two years before I realized it wasn't going to be "the one". It was painful putting it aside to write something new, but it ended up being the best decision for me. Good luck with the querying and with Pitch Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for 2013! I'm sure that 2014 will only get better. Isn't falling in love with a book the best thing? It's weird to have emotional attachments to a world that came out of your head, but hey. We're writers. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks to set something aside that you really love, but sometimes we need to do it. And it's always there waiting if you ever want to go back. I know many people who return to a story 6 months or a year later or more and rewrite it all from the beginning. And if that doesn't happen, it's still worthwhile because it's one big learning experience.

    I set aside one of my novels after querying for a bit. I didn't edit it as long as you did yours, but I still feel like I over-edited, so much I edited the voice right out. So I will return to that one, but I'm doing other things now.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete