Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Positivity in Publishing

Some of my absolute favorite attributes in a person are positivity and integrity. I love that while there are so many shifty people out there, there's still some committed to doing the right thing and treating people with the respect they deserve. People who don't look at the world with narrowed, suspicious eyes.

I was thinking recently about publishing and how easy it is for new writers to blame big publishing houses or agents for lack of interest in their books, or going off because they're responsible for their own marketing, building platforms, etc.

I think it's important to have a certain amount of responsibility when it comes to getting the word out about your novel. It's YOUR novel, so if its not important enough for you to work on it, why should anyone else?

What I love to see is people approaching publishing with the same integrity and good attitude you see in everyday life. I get inspired by people talking about everything they went through to get published. I respect those people who go into the industry knowing what's involved and they charge in anyway, and I REALLY respect those who are shot down and persevere instead of jumping on the internet and screaming at the world.

Getting published isn't a right. Just because you write a book, doesn't mean that someone somewhere absolutely has to read it. The only thing you can do is work your hardest to come up with something you're ridiculously proud of and see what happens.

At the end of the day if you're not doing this for yourself, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. And every single day I read a blog, or see an interview from someone who made it through the maze of publishing and out the other side.

I think sometimes its easy to get caught up in the fantasy of it all, and the what-ifs (What if this is a best seller? What if I get to go on Ellen? What if they make it into a movie?) Then they feel stomped on when things don't turn out exactly as they plan. But getting published is hard. Writing the freaking book in the first place is hard! And it makes me sad to know there are people all over getting their hearts crushed by rejection e-mails.

So stay positive. With every ugly response, send out an even brighter query. With every form rejection, take a breath and keep going. Positivity is the only way you'll get through this. Just smile and click send a few hundred more times. And NEVER, ever give up.

Because eventually you'll get there. It may take a year, it may take ten years, but at some point you're going to get that call/e-mail whatever, and it'll all be worth it.

Toodles!


(Oh and don't forget to comment on my 100th blog post for your chance to win a copy of:



Contest closes in two days (October 20th)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! If someone shows me their integrity (through their actions), they've seriously won me over for life. And the positivity just makes them a joy to be around. ;)

    ReplyDelete