Thursday, September 8, 2011

Quote of The Day Combo!

Ok, first, lets get this out of the way, because my "Quote of the Day" is turning out to be more like "Quote Every Few Days" :-)




"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."

Edgar Allen Poe




Now, on to the point. :-)

I absolutely hate it when I'm writing, and everything is going great, and I'm really feeling awesome about how the story is coming along, and then a song or a movie or something a stranger says to me in the grocery store completely ruins it!!!

All of a sudden I can't think about my WIP, all I can think about is another story that's been sitting in the back of my head. I try shoving it away, but these perfect little argument comebacks pop into my brain, or the perfect way to describe an emerald colored prom dress just appears instead of Wolfy goodness!! I hate this.

Of course, that story as a whole is completely not ready, so the whole thing is a wash. All I can do is try and write down all these (might I say very clever) parts and wait until later to use them. And in the mean time, Wolfy Love Story is sitting alone in my Documents folder wondering where I've been for the last three days.

I know I'll get back into my groove, I always do, but it's the process of getting there that always feels a little... &%##(&^*!@#@$#%!!

Sorry about that...

I've always said that a sane person can't write a novel. A novel requires a little bit of crazy, a little talking to yourself, a lot of imaginary friends, and dreams about people who don't exist, doing things that real boring humans can't do. You need some tears, and anger, and laughing out loud at nothing but yourself. It requires lots of time you don't really have, and lots of patience when you've run out.

It requires the occasional pause to ask "Am I losing it?" (That of course you immediately dismiss as you turn back to your computer and finish your scene where a hunky guy jumps over a car and turns into a beautiful blue eyed wolf.)

I'm crazy. Not in the "Whoa, she needs to hug herself for a while in one of those stylish padded rooms and a white jacket" kind of way. In the "Yes, I'm seriously crying for people I made up" sort of way. And I'm proud of it.

To recap. I hate people at the grocery store, Edgar Allen Poe is awesome (Did I write that? I should have.) Oh, and I'm out of my freaking mind.

Toodles!

5 comments:

  1. yes. we're all a little crazy.. and you'll get back in the groove.

    and speaking of, I just bought the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe!

    yay, I love me some creepy crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is awesome. I agree with SOOO much of it, and great quote much? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally talk to myself to get back on track, like a little pep talk. I try to do it in the car with a bluetooth in my ear so people don't stare too much. Crazy is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I totally agree about that whole movie/song thing!!! I hate it when that happens!! Its the worst!!
    Awesome post and awesome quote!!!
    (I'm visiting from Ladies who critique :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you that a sane person can't write a novel! ;) That's a great quote from Poe.

    ReplyDelete