Friday, August 6, 2010

Combination: Quote of the day and... other stuff

"The task of a writer consists of being able to make something out of an idea."
Thomas Mann

The last post is a song from an action sequence in the first season of Bones. I heard it and immediately thought of a million ways it will inspire me. It makes me think of chase scenes, or needing to get somewhere and not having enough time- life life or death.

In other random daily news, the procrastination that's kept me from writing anything that doesn't succumb to the delete button these past few days has been lifted! I needed to write a good scene between scenes. That is, I needed something to separate "action scene #1" from "action scene # 2" but I hated everything I came up with. It all sounded fake or not in line with where the story was going.

Not anymore. I changed a character, took one out of the equation and now I can bowl onto that next action scene (an attempted murder! How exciting?) and hopefully the rest of the book as well!

I see it as getting lost on your road trip. If you look at the map long enough (or find the charger for your GPS) you'll eventually get where you're going.

Patience is a virtue right? Well, I have loads of it.

Orson Scott Card is schooling me on the ways of science fiction and fantasy. I rented his book How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy from the library today, so that's my newest assignment. Oh, besides my real assignment for The Institute of Children's Literature. I got my last assignment back the day before yesterday so onto the next one. I should be done before the end of the year if I get to it.

That's all for tonight. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment