Saturday, July 3, 2010

This Weeks Music

Music is like a life force when I write. Different songs make me feel like writing different scenes and the songs go in cycles until I get tired of them. So, this weeks songs are as follows:

Sad scene songs:
"Hide and Seek" Imogen Heap
"Please Don't Go" Barcelona
"I Don't Feel it Anymore" William Fitzsimmons

Fight scene songs:
"Hell Yeah" Rev Theory
"I Don't Wanna Stop" Ozzy Osbourne
"Burn It To The Ground" Nickelback

Lovely songs:
"I'd Come For You" Nickelback
"Anywhere But Here" Safetysuit
"Wherever You Will Go" The Calling

All around good ones:
"Letting Go" Retrograde
"Help, I'm Alive" Metric
"The Sharpest Lives" My Chemical Romance"
"Someone Like You" Safetysuit
"Apology" Safetysuit
"I Don't Love You" My Chemical Romance
"Fences" Paramore
"(Say) All I Need" OneRepublic
"Down" Jason Walker
"Electric Twist" A Fine Frenzy


As you can see, Safetysuit is a common name in my lists. I think its important for every writer to find what inspires them most, and then why. It a lot when you get struck with writers block or laziness and you know what will get you back to that keyboard. Music does it for me and Safetysuit can cure even my most stubborn case of writers block.

Another trick I use is to set my iTunes to random and open a new document. With every new song that comes, I write a different scene. Whatever comes to mind when I hear the first part of the song, that's what I write about. It helps hone my skills by way of describing hundreds of things in dozens of scenes as well as gets me in the right frame of mind to dive into the real stuff.

I'm not saying it works for anyone, but any music lover/writer should at least give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? Even if your not a writer, its a good way to wind down your mind when you cant sleep, cure a half hour of boredom, or keep yourself from snacking. ;-)

I shared my songs, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment